Thursday, November 6, 2008

Sports brings us together

As I was heading into the office this morning, I ran into one of the guys that I've been playing drop-in basketball with for about a year. Little did I know, he's working construction on the site next to our office building. As usual, we starting talking bball, and when we were going to be playing next.

I started to notice that everybody walking by looked at us because we were a bit of an odd couple. A guy dressed business casual, and a construction worker - talk about 2 different worlds. Two different worlds during the 9-5, maybe, but all that is put aside when we step onto the court.

As I was in the elevator, I thought I should write about it in our blog because it made me start to think about a lot of the other guys who we play sports with. I really only know what a handful of them do for work - and it really doesn't matter. We're there to play the game!

Lets look at the news, how often are they reporting about the middle class disappearing? How many times is someone described or judged by their race, or age, or classified by their career choice? More often than not. I know I'm getting off topic here, but I think its still relevant.

I never thought about how mixed and diverse our drop-in basketball was. We've got a couple teachers, 2 or 3 in sales, a poker pro, a few college students, but like I mentioned earlier, the rest, I really don't know. We're racially diverse as well. Its a pretty good mix.

I'm hoping that this will continue to be the case through out the years. The next generation is growing up in a more 'global' world, and is more aware of athletics on a global scale. I'm glad that is the case for all sports. Steel sharpens steel as athletes develop and train; with the cultural and class barriers down, it allows us to enjoy our sports more, and see them evolve to the next level.


As bitter as I may have sounded above talking about how judgmental the media can be, I'm truly excited that the sports we love continue to cross borders, and bring us all together. Best of health, lets play ball!

No comments: