Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Sometimes, You Need to Change Direction

Honestly, I hear this every day, "great idea, how's that going to work? Can you really pull that off?"

No longer does this frustrate me, and is actually what drove me to do more reflection on where we've come from. A couple years back, I picked up a great habit at a conference a couple years back from the top leadership teacher, John Maxwell; always have some where to put your ideas and expand on them. Since then, I've probably gone through 5 or 6 "idea note books." I'm quite amazed how far my ideas have come, but more surprised on how drastically many of those ideas have changed. Of course, continuing to learn and be hungry for more info about your industry and your interests helps. Using John Maxwell as an example, I've read a couple of his books, and by the first chapter, I'll have something valuable from it. Something that I can apply right away. I am confident that all the reading helps me make better decisions day-in and day-out.

Yes, the ideas have grown and changed, a lot. Not changed in a bad way, but significantly changed as they had to be manipulated before they could come to fruition. Roadblocks are always unforeseen, I'm happy we were able to overcome them. As stubborn as I can be at times, wanting to see that ideal in my head happen, the best ideas are those up for interpretation and molded by our team. Keep that mindset, that the idea is only the beginning of the plan. Let the changes be suggested, and be willing to take a sharp change in the direction of your plans if necessary.

We recently had to take a 180 degree turn with one of our projects, and it was painful. Feeling like we threw a lot out the window and had to start from scratch. Big Picture; its for the better. Its going to take a while to get back to where we need, expect and should be.

I'm glad that I have a team who is flexible and willing to change as the project evolves. If there is a fork in the road, I am very confident brainstorming with them to come up with the direction we should head in. Being confident and committed to whatever you choose is what makes the difference down the road. I love the saying, "leave it all on the field" and I truly believe that can be used in any aspect of life. Give it all you've got, and you'll be happy knowing that you put in all your efforts.

No comments: